Just a girl blogging about her life with a chronic illness

Just a girl blogging about her life with a chronic illness

Monday, January 28, 2013

On a scale from 1-10...

I hate when people say "On a scale from 1-10.." when asking about pain. My pain tolerance is way higher then most peoples, but in a kinda different way. I am in CONSTANT pain 24/7, from my joints to my muscles and stomach. When you cant get away from a pain you have, whether it be in your arm, or your stomach, or your head, you learn to deal with it, and kind of ignore it. Trust me I still know its there, I just have gotten used to it. I have gotten used to that nagging pain in my knee, or that constant headache, or that throbbing pain in my wrist. It makes it VERY hard to tell if you have actually gotten hurt. Though most of the time I can tell the difference in the pain. For example, recently my left knee has been hurting in a different way. It didn't feel like the same constant pain I have gotten used to, it was new. I went to urgent care and that's when I got upset. They asked me, "on a scale of one to ten, how bad does it hurt?". I didn't know what to say. Before I got sick, and to most normal people, this would have been around a 7 or 8. But now this was NOTHING. I would rate this maybe a 2, if even that. Though it bothered me and caused me to limp a little, just like the other pains, I quickly got used to it. It turned out I had sprained a tendon in the side of my knee. You wanna know how that happened? I stood up. I literally stood up and sprained a tendon in my knee. My HMS(Hyper mobility Syndrome) makes it very easy for me to sprain muscle or twist any of my joints. So, this was not uncommon for me. When people find out that my knee is sprained or anything like that they don't believe me at first. I can walk almost normally most of the time and barely ever wear a brace or wrap because it would hurt me more. Just like the fibro pains, I get used to the pain of the new injury. It is very easy for me to get hurt though. Because my HMS causes my limbs to over extend, if I reach to fast or accidentally step the wrong way I could sprain or even tear a muscle or tendon. I don't like to live with the fear of getting hurt, especially when I am already hurting.

No comments: