Just a girl blogging about her life with a chronic illness

Just a girl blogging about her life with a chronic illness

Friday, February 5, 2016

I QUIT SCHOOL?

So I guess I should tell you guys….

I couldn't get here, I couldn't get there, I couldn't get anywherE!! (my version of Dr. Suess)

But for real...

In October I realized that school was too much for me with everything going on. Also, I found it very difficult, almost impossible, to maneuver my wheelchair around the William Peace campus. When I wanted to go to classes, I either had to have someone come push me, or I had to walk; when I walked it hurt my hip more. They also had student activities in rooms only accessible by stairs. Even my "medical single" dorm room (that I was told I didn't need at the beginning of the semester) was not fully handicap accessible. So at the end of October, I made the decision to withdraw from my classes and work toward making the campus accessible for other students. 


I learned that Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act is a civil rights statute that requires that the needs of students with disabilities be equally met. Also, through the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504, discriminating against disabled individuals is illegal. Everything that is offered to non-disabled people must be offered to the disabled, and any school that receives Federal Funding must follow these rules.

Scheduling events on the second floor of an inaccessible building, not providing adequate handicap dorm rooms, not having an accessible campus, not giving reasonable disability accommodations AND PUTTING THE DISABILITY OFFICE ON THE SECOND FLOOR WITH NO ELEVATOR is not just rude, but illegal. 

I originally went to the school and requested a refund of my tuition so I could go to an accessible school. After I sent an appeal to the school board, I was informed that in order to get my money back, I would need to sign an agreement giving up my right to file a complaint with the Department of Justice, and agree to keep confidential the entire contract, including the fact that the school was not accessible. 

Let me think about it, I have to leave my dream school because it isn't accessible, and I cant tell people why I left?  No thanks.

I decided that I really wanted to work things out with the school because I truly liked the school and wished I could stay. So we started working with the school to negotiate a deal that included improvements in infrastructure and handicap awareness in exchange for our silence. We were willing to keep certain parts of the agreement a secret, if they were willing to agree to make these important changes to the school. I felt like I was compromising a lot, given the fact that I did nothing wrong in the first place. We worked hard to help them realize all the changes they needed to make, without involving the government. But to me, it just seemed like the school was trying to push me aside and "get rid of the problem (me)." I won't allow that. 

I was hoping to post this blog saying we worked everything out and the school is doing great and working hard to make the whole campus accessible. But sadly, that is not the case. After a long 4 months, we were unable to come to a conclusion that both my family and the school was happy with. 

In fairness, throughout negotiations, WPU said they made minor changes to the campus upon my request. These included changing the height of paper towel dispensers and moving mail to an accessible building. But these things were only minute compared to all the changes the university still needs to make.

We eventually told the school that if we didn't come to an agreement soon, we would pursue a law suit and contact the Department of Justice to file an ADA complaint. 
In response, the school decided to send us a full refund of our money and propose an agreement that still allowed us to have them commit to making the changes we wanted. However, after going over it with a lawyer, we realized that we would be restricted in more ways than we thought. I'm not ok with that, so I refused to sign it. 

So now we are left wondering: what do we do next? We got our money back, but the school is not accessible. I still need to make a difference. 





When I first had the thought of leaving William Peace, it was heartbreaking. I had worked so hard for years to get into my top school, earned a scholarship, and planned for months on how I was going to make it work with my health issues. As many of you know, my entire graduation party was WPU themed. I was so excited.   




I felt as though my freshman experience was taken from me, my body was failing me, and while people seemed to care about me, I still couldn't do what I dreamed of doing.
I was failing… Quitting school is failing right?

Not in this case.

I am not a failure.


I do not believe my short time at William Peace was for nothing. I met many amazing teachers and learned what I truly want to major in. Even though my academic goals were not fully realized, I figured out my reason for going to this school. I'm going to make a difference. 

I'm going to help people.

I don't believe God ever wanted me to stay at WPU, he wanted me to go through this difficult time because he knew I could handle it. I could be the one who stood my ground to make a change for those who couldn't. 

If I hadn't had these experiences at Peace, who would be helping to make these changes for future students?

Even though I didn't get what I wanted or expected from my first semester of college, God did.


My time was not wasted, because I was afforded the opportunity to make positive change. 







I'm upset that we weren't able to come to an agreement after all this time, but I know that I can still make a difference.


I know that God is able to use my struggles and my courage to make changes that wouldn't normally be made.


During all the negotiating, I was stuck trying to figure out what to do next. I was not in school… I lost a good scholarship… What do I do?
So I applied to Liberty.


...and I was accepted!!





I started my classes online in January where I hope to major in Criminal Justice with a Criminal Psychology Cognate.

Although I will have to take a break for my surgery, I hope to take more classes in the summer. 

Thank you to everyone who supported me, and I'm sorry for not telling everyone until now. Things needed to be worked out before I announced it to everyone. Sadly, they were not worked out like I had anticipated. I'm not sure what's in my next fortune cookie, or how I'm going to help make WPU accessible whether through the DOJ, or elsewhere. But I have known from the beginning that I will not settle. I will not agree to anything less than what is just for the handicapped people at school. 

As I work through this, I am so thankful for the love and support I have received from those close to me. Thank you.



God Is good and he knows His plan for me. I am so thankful that I am chosen to be used by Him.




Psalm 91

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
    will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
    he is my God, and I trust him.
For he will rescue you from every trap
    and protect you from deadly disease.
He will cover you with his feathers.
    He will shelter you with his wings.
    His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
    nor the arrow that flies in the day.
Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
    nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
Though a thousand fall at your side,
    though ten thousand are dying around you,
    these evils will not touch you.
Just open your eyes,
    and see how the wicked are punished.
If you make the Lord your refuge,
    if you make the Most High your shelter,
10 no evil will conquer you;
    no plague will come near your home.
11 For he will order his angels
    to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
    so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
    you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!
14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
    I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer;
    I will be with them in trouble.
    I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life
    and give them my salvation.”





5 comments:

Just Me said...

Encountering adversity is not failure. To react to adversity the wrong way is failure. Trusting God through adversity is success. You are successful!

Just Me said...

Encountering adversity is not failure. To react to adversity the wrong way is failure. Trusting God through adversity is success. You are successful!

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! - from a mom of a wheelchair-bound middle schooler. I am disappointed in William Peace and so happy that you are continuing at Liberty. I admire your courage to speak up and your perseverance to get things done correctly.

I must say you didn't quit school, school quit you. Change may be slow, but changes must be made.

We are so very proud of you and we will continue to have you and your family in our prayers.

-From Janet (Cavanaugh) Coffey

Weston said...

You're one tough cookie, Ellee! Britt and I are proud of Liberty and would be glad to know that you went there as well. You made a wise choice. We said a prayer that you keep on letting Him guide you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ellee! You are blessed and such a blessing to all of us watching you from afar.... You are making a difference! I am so grateful that you recognize God is working through you... YOU are His hands and feet. Thank you Thank you Thank you!! Trust God and leave all the consequences to HIM. Uncle John and I will continue to keep you in our prayers. Love you. Aunt Julie